About Arya Samaj South Africa
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
Alternative Peace Foundation held an interfaith meditation for peace at the Westville
YOUTH – THE FUTURE! Futurist Alvin Toffler said the secret message communicated
In today’s society, the job of a priest remains ever relevant and
- 1st Vedic Missionary – 1905 Bhai Paramanand
- Hindu Maha Sabha – founded by Vedic Missionary Swami Shankaranand
- Hindi Shiksha Sangh – founded by Pundit Nardev Vedalankar
- Swami Bhawani Dayal – founding President of Arya Pratinidha Sabha
- Aryan Benevolent Home – founded by Arya Yuvak Sabha
- Veda Niketan – graded exams and literature in English on Hinduism
- Vedic Purohit Mandal – fully qualified ordained priests
- NJVC – providing primary health care to informal settlement in Kenville, Durban
- Headquarters 21 Carlise Street & Veda Mandir
Today, almost nine decades since its formation, the Arya Pratinidhi Sabha, popularly referred to as the Arya Samaj, remains a mature organisation which continues to offer direction and leadership to the community in the religious, social, cultural and educational fields.
It has helped to interpret and present Hinduism in a manner to give it an exalted place in South Africa. Taking its stand on the slogan, Back to the Vedas the Arya Samaj has dissociated itself from superstitious beliefs, meaningless rituals, heinous animal sacrifices and the ugly caste system.
It has lent its full support to vegetarianism and cremation and advocates a way of life which is rational, scientific, modern, enlightened and progressive. The Principles of the Samaj provide the fullest scope and opportunity for the development of the full potential of an individual to reach the highest status in society in a responsible way.
To give practical expression to its ‘Principles’ and being a strong advocacy movement of women’s’ emancipation, the Arya Samaj SA has scored a first by electing a woman President, Professor Usha Desai, to lead the organisation at this critical juncture in its history. The example set by the South African branch ought to inspire others throughout the world to follow suit, as the gender imbalance is something we face globally.